IRVINE, February 5, 2020 – Coala Life has partnered with Dr Reginald Abraham, Chief of CardioThoracic Surgery and Chief of Staff Elect at Fountain Valley Regional Hospital, CA, to introduce a new post-procedure protocol based on patient-engaged and real-time cardiac monitoring. The protocol aims to reduce readmission rates, lower costs of care, reduce physician liability and ultimately improve outcomes.
Up to 50% of patients undergoing cardiac surgery develop cardiac arrhythmias, and most frequently atrial fibrillation (AF).1 Postoperative AF is associated with higher morbidity and mortality including stroke. The onset of AF following surgery has also been correlated with longer, and costlier, lengths of stay and increased rates of readmission.2,3
Coala Life has partnered with cardiovascular and thoracic surgeon Reginald Abraham with a joint mission to help reduce readmission rates and ultimately improve patient outcomes by use of novel real-time and patient-engaged digital technology. The clinical protocol, now in real-world use on patients, includes the prescription of Coala Heart Monitors to remotely follow surgical patients in real-time in everyday life during an extended period – to enhance management, enable early detection, and more efficient treatment of any post-procedural complications.
– I’m proud to pioneer the first post-procedural protocol based on remote, patient-engaged monitoring with real-time analytics. Smart digital technology now enables me to efficiently follow every patient in their recovery, without burden or financial surprises for my patients, comments Dr. Reginald Abraham.
– This is a major leap for Coala Life and we’re honored to partner with Dr. Abraham to pioneer the introduction of new patient-centered solutions on the US market. The Fountain Valley Regional Hospital will be yet another center of excellence for Coala Life in the US, comments Philip Siberg, President of Coala Life US.
The Coala Heart Monitor is an award-winning, patch-free cardiac monitoring system providing real-time ECG analysis and heart sound recordings simultaneously to the patient and connected healthcare provider. The partnership constitutes the first post-procedural protocol for Coala Life in the US following recent market launch.
Dr Abraham is certified by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery and General Surgery and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, American College of Cardiology and American College of Chest Physicians. For more info, see www.regabrahammd.com
For more information, please contact:
Dan Pitulia, CEO Coala Life AB, +46 70 972 0838, firstname.lastname@example.org
Philip Siberg, President Coala Life Inc, +1 949 590 7195, email@example.com
Reginald Abraham, M.D., FACS, FACC, FCCP. Tel: +1 714 549 5990
- D’Agostino RS et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons adult cardiac surgery database: 2018 update on outcomes and quality. Ann Thorac Surg. 2018;105(1):15–23.
- Mathew JP et al. A multicenter risk index for atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. 2004;291(14):1720–9.
- LaPar DJ et al. Postoperative atrial fibrillation significantly increases mortality, hospital readmission, and hospital costs. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;98(2):527–33; discussion 33.
About Coala Life:
Coala Life is a Swedish digital health venture focused on cardiac diagnostics and digital health. The company has developed a portfolio of patented CE- and FDA-cleared medical products and services for user-centered digital remote monitoring and screening of the heart based on advanced and smart algorithms. Coala’s solutions enable analysis, remote monitoring, more effective cardiac assessments and integrated care services, all in real time. Coala was named one of five global Cool Vendors within the Health and Wellness market by Gartner Group in 2018 and recognized in 2019 as of the 100 Global Leaders in Digital Health by the Journal of mHealth. Follow your Heart® www.coalalife.com