MILESTONES AND NEWS 2018-1821
- First patients diagnosed and treated for Atrial Fibrillation in the US thanks to Coala
- Coala's US advisory board assembled with leading industry professionals
- Coala Life is listed by the Wired as one of the 100 hottest start-ups in Europe.
- Clinical performance results are presented on the Digital Health stage at the world's largest cardiology meeting - European Society of Cardiology (ESC) - including results from the Red Heart Study.
- Coala Life expands into the US market with office in Irvine, CA, and sales team spread across USA.
- Coala partners with Luscii and enters the Dutch market
- Coala Life Inc is established on the US market and first team on board.
- Coala enters the German market in partnership with Arteriomed GmbH
- Microsofts CEO Satya Nadella presents Coala Life as part of keynote presentation.
- Coala Life elected by Valuer.ai as the leading MedTech startup in Sweden.
- Coala Life elected by Norrsken as one of the #theimpact100 companies, with goal and passion to solve global challenges.
- Coala Life secures USD 10 million for expansion into the US market, read pressrelease here.
- New research presented confirming the leading clinical accuracy of the Coala Heart Monitor, see here.
- First results presented from The RedHeart Study – confirming that Coala Heart Monitor helps to alleviate worries and increase quality of life for women.
- Launch of Hjärtflimmerkollen – a new medical service for digital screening for AF – open for everyone
- Coala Life signs commercialisation agreement with Apotek Hjärtat, the largest Pharmacy retailer in Sweden
- Coala Heart Monitor is cleared by the FDA, read pressrelease here.
- Coala Life is recognized as one of 100 top Global leaders in Digital Health by The Journal of mHealth
- Clinical advisory board formed consisting of cardiologists Tord Juhlin, Hans-Jörgen Nilsson and Claes Held. All industry leaders in their field and inspirational advisors.
- Coala introduces new, unique algorithms with advanced P-wave detection and compatibility with Apple Health Records.
- Performance assessment study presented at American Heart Association 2018, and published in Circulation.
- Coala Life elected by research firm PUBLIC as one of the leaders of the digital transformation of public healthcare.
- New clinical performance data of Coala presented at the annual fall meeting of the Swedish Clinical Physiologists.
- Launch of Coala Pro X - digital, cardiac assessments as-a-service.
- Coala presents at the Health 2.0 conference in Santa Clara, US.
- Coala attends and presents at the Digital Health Pavilion of ESC 2018, the largest cardiovascular meeting in the world.
- Agreement signed with Capio, one of Europe’s largest healthcare companies, to offer Coala Heart Monitor Pro in Primary Care to insurance patients.
- Coala named "Cool Vendor 2018" by Gartner.
- Coala is featured on TV4 Nyhetsmorgon (leading morning show on Swedish television).
- Coala Life and Microsoft run joint seminars on AI and future of digital health at Almedalen week, Sweden
- Coala Life is recognized by Red Herring as one of Europe's Top-100 start-ups.
- Coala Life wins the People's Choice Award of the prestigious 2018 Grand Award of Design.
- Publishing of clinical performance data at the 2018 Spring Cardiovascular Spring meeting in Stockholm.
- Coala wins the EBAN (The European Trade Association for Business Angels, Seed Funds and Early Stage Market Players) eHealth Investment Seminar Pitch in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Results from joint-project with Praktikertjänst (the largest private healthcare provider in Sweden) is presented proving a reduction in specialist referrals with almost 40%, with reduced costs and satisfied users as results.
- Coala strengthens the Board and organization with a fantastic quartet of industry leaders.
- New apps released with trend monitoring, link to Apple Health and ability to link in external data such as blood pressure.
- Coala wins the Makerstown 2018 Jury Award in Brusseles, among leading innovation and start-up companies from across Europe.
- Coala celebrates 100,000 conducted ECG-measurements in Sweden using the Coala Heart Monitor.
- Coala Life partners with Karolinska Institutet to run the RedHeart Study.
- Coala Life finalist and part of the Serendipity Challenge 2018 event, among 50 of Swedens most innovative future leaders.
- Coala Life raises additional SEK 16 million (approx. USD 2 million) to accelerate growth.
- The University Hospital in Lund starts using the Coala Pro for smart and Digital cardiac assessments.
- Coala Life wins the Startup World Cup finals in Sweden and heading for the global grand finale in Silicon Valley.
- Coala Life is awarded the Digital Hospital Award 2018. Continued market roll-out in Sweden and first steps taken to go international.
- Coala Life signs deal with global life science company Bayer.
- Coala Life raises additional growth capital and extends the Board.
- Coala receives a major grant from the Swedish Governmental agency for Innovation Systems (Vinnova) to further develop Artificial Intelligence to enable early prediction of heart disease.
- Coala Life wins the Sweden Demo Day 2017 Pitch with over 100 finalists.
- Coala Life launches Coala Labs in Sweden for smart, digital cardiac clinical investigations.
- New set of algorithms are released for murmur detection by smart correlation of ECG and heart sounds.
- Coala Life is awarded the prestigious Rising Star Award 2017 at the Swedish American Life Science Summit.
- Coala is used in unique new clinical study on stroke patients.
- Launch of the Coala Pro, a unique digital solution for caregivers and professional users to enable efficient, high performance yet simple arrhythmia assessments as well as diagnosing and managing patients with AFIB.
- Coala Life wins the prestigious eHealthAward 2017, handed over by the Swedish Minister of Health.
- Coala Life is honored as a finalist in the Swedish Mobile Awards 2017
- Coala Life is a proud winner and part of "Sweden’s 33 hottest tech companies list 2017".
- The Coala is launched in Sweden and sold online and in retail by LloydsPharmacy in Sweden. Consumers buy the Coala and subscribe for the service, and many Swedish health care providers access the data in the Coala Care Portal. Hjärtupplysningen (HeartCareLine) is established in Sweden as the first integrated care provider offering cardiac consultation based on the Coala for Premium subscribers.
Coala Life collaborates with industry leaders such as Microsoft, Ericsson, Sigma and Stockholm Heart Center in preparation for the upcoming market launch. Coala is CE-approved and Coala Life is ISO 13485 certified. LloydsPharmacy signs agreement to retail the Coala in Sweden.
The fourth generation technology platform and analysis algorithms are successfully verified. Coala is developed into a unique, medical technology system that allows users to monitor their heart any time, any place and very easily. An innovative and true e-health service in collaboration with caregivers. Coala Atlas is created. Coala Life is awarded additional patents.
Major Swedish studies confirm that preventative ECG screening leads to both earlier and more frequent detection of atrial fibrillation.
Coala Life AB is founded as a commercialization entity of the previous Cometech and R&D projects.
Coala research is initiated by Swedish entrepreneurs and physicians with the goal of developing wireless systems for digital monitoring and diagnosing of the heart. In 2007, the first generation Coala technology platform is developed and the first patent is approved. In 2013, Coala reaches a technological breakthrough. The fourth generation's new digital technology platform provides a completely new way of screening patients by digitizing heart sounds, simultaneously taking an ECG on the chest and analysing the data in the cloud.
The European Society for Cardiology (ESC) and the American Heart Association (AHA) publish the first, joint, international guidelines that recommend ECG monitoring to detect and diagnose atrial fibrillation.
A key publication included in the comprehensive Framingham study, confirms that atrial fibrillation increases the risk of stroke considerably.
The Dutch physiologist Willem Einthoven develops the first real equipment for recording ECG signals. A solution that weighed approximately 270 kg and required five people to conduct the examination.
The analogue stethoscope is invented by the French physician Rene Laennec. Today, there are over 25 million units on the market.